Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Your input needed!

I have a cousin Adrienne, that is taking a class called Media Ritual, which is mostly focused on the use of media in all kinds of different rituals (using the broadest possible definitions of both media and ritual).

She is interested in finding out more about General Conference. She is curious about the different ways people participate, what they think of it, and all that good stuff.

One thing that she has been thinking about is looking at how people talk about the different media used to broadcast the conference. For example, a couple of blogs she has visited discussed the pros and cons of podcasts (both of which being you could listen to the conference while doing other things).

She is trying to see if people think there is a ‘right’ way and a ‘wrong’ way to participate/attend/listen to General Conference.

What are your thoughts? Don't be shy now. Let those opinions roll in. Even if you don't know me but have an opinion please share.

14 people showing their love:

Samye said...

We have been listening via live broadcast over the internet for the past couple of years and have loved it. I don't think there is a wrong way to listen to General Conference...if you feel that it is right, than it is for you. I didn't know they had them on podcast- but that would be nice! I would enjoy getting a couple of them on my ipod for long rides because it doesn't matter how many times you listen to them there will always be something new to you.

Jennie said...

I don't think there is a wrong way to listen to conference. The talks are so uplifting that it can only enhance and brighten you day. I think it will only make you want to be a better person and if you can fit it into your life in anyway then why not?

Goates' Family said...

Have been using the internet and hooking it up to the tv. At least that way I can hear some of it while the kids have things are them to do. I think it is how you spend your time while conference is on. I can tell you, there is a lot I missed. I think that is why they print them up, so we can review. I have also started getting them on dvd and watching them while I run.

Angie and J.D. said...

I've always just watched it on t.v. & then will re-read some of the talks that are printed. Sometime's we'll get the CD and listen to the talks in the car, we're more apt to do that than watch them again on a DVD.

Holly said...

I think everyone is different but for me I can't be doing anything else. I do best when I watch it for some reason, I guess it's easier for me to focus and concentrate.

Morgan said...

My thoughts on Conference:



From a Mormon's perspective, Conference is the time that we get to hear what our latter-day prophets have to say as far as counsel goes. A lot of members when they watch conference are struggling with something or they are looking for an answer to a question. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to watch/listen to conference. As long as you are getting it in some how I think that is all that matters. I also don't think that it is necessary to watch all the sessions of conference. Some people do. We typically do watch all of the sessions because we normally don't have anything going on, on Saturday's that would deter us from watching. I spent the last 7 years at BYU-Idaho and some people their are freaks about Conference. Grocery stores are jammed with people just trying to get some nacho chips and dip. Conference isn't a party it's more of a time to be spiritually uplifted.

BriANDaleen said...

Personally, I get more out of it if I'm not only watching it, but actively trying to take notes or else my mind wanders. It's true that if we go with some questions or concerns in mind that we're more likely to get more out of it.

Lori said...

I've watched conference on TV in my own house, at the Stake Center when we were in college and it didn't come over local TV, and with the audio stream over the internet. Personally, I pay more attention if I can see the person talking rather than just listening to an audio stream. My favorite way to listen to Conference is at home with family/friends because we can talk and share our thoughts with each other about what was said.

Erin L said...

I think it is so great that so many can participate in conference. The internet is an amazing tool that has made is possible. But, I also think we should watch as much as we can and pay as much attention as we can. Its a shame to let such an opportunity pass us by without taking advantage of listening the prophets. Growing up we always were expected to watch the whole time and I've really come to love it because of that.

Buxton Family said...

Iagree that there is no wrong way to listen to conference. I'm just thankful for al the options we have now...especially the DVR to record it. I stay awake better if I'm doing something while I'm watching it. It is a family tradition in our house to put together a puzzle while we watch it.

Kristy said...

This is how I watch conference: I am blessed with 5 little kids age 8 and under. They have lots of needs all the time and don't let me pay much attention to any one thing at a time. To watch conference, I set the DVR to record all the sessions since I'm blessed I live where I can see it on TV. Then, I watch conference talks as my kids let me. I love the ability to pause and help the kids and come back when I can. In fact, I have one session still on the DVR I'm half way through watching. I also like to read talks in the Ensign when it comes out.

Shaela said...

my 2 cents: I've listened to Conference at church, online (audio with and without video), on the radio, and afterwards from burned cds/mp3s. Although they are all great ways, it has been my experience that if you have young kids around, you will never get anything out of GC no matter how you participate. Period. However, when the kids aren't around, I find I prefer listening to conference rather than seeing it. For some reason, when I'm LOOKING at the person, my brain tends to shut off and I don't absorb what I hear. I've found that I need to DO something. That's why I listen to the cds in the car while driving, or listen to them while I crochet or cross-stich. I need "mindless concentration" - basically, just my hands, not my mind, to be busy. I've also found that if I DO happen to be somewhere where I'm seeing it, if I take notes (therefore getting my eyes away from the screen) I absorb more. I've forgotten - was this what you were looking for? Well, I hope this helps. see ya!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your input everyone. It is *really* helpful and greatly appreciated!
best,
-adrienne

emilie s. d. p. said...

I realize I'm a little late in commenting but I have to say that I don't really think it matters how you listen. I know some people get more out of it when they're at home while others would rather listen in a chapel. Some people really like to see the GA's as they speak while others can just listen.
Basically I think you should do anything you can to hear the message, even if that means just reading it when it comes out in the next issue of the Ensign.