Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happy Canada Day!




CANADA DAY - Frequently referred to as "Canada's birthday", particularly in the popular press,the occasion marks the joining of the British colonies of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and the Province of Canada into a federation of four provinces (the Province of Canada being divided, in the process, into Ontario and Quebec) on July 1, 1867. However, though Canada is regarded as having become a kingdom in its own right on that date, the British Parliament at first kept limited rights of political control over the new country, which were shed by stages over the years until the last vestiges were ended in 1982, when the Constitution Act patriated the Canadian constitution. Canada Day thus differs from Independence Day celebrations in other countries in that it does not commemorate a clear-cut date of complete independence.

These are some high quality slang words that are often used by our upstairs neighbors.

Chip - not a potato chip, a french fry
Timbit - the center of a donut
Cooked it - done something wrong
Homo milk - Homogenized milk, whole milk
Biffy - bathroom
Tuque - a winter hat
Eh? - It can mean "huh?". "Eh?" is a word you add to the end of a sentence, to ask for a response of agreement or disagreement, similar in meaning to "don't you think?" ex. "Looks like a storm comin' in, eh?" It is also sometimes used with "I know", and in that case it doesn't really mean anything.
Keener - A brown noser
Bunny Hug - A hooded sweatshirt
Hoser - calling someone a "hoser" is really calling someone a loser. In the old days the team that lost the game would have to hose down the rink, and hence the reference "hoser"


These are some of the things I love to eat when I am in Canada.


The chip truck. This isn't the actual one that we go to but, there are many chip trucks under the bridge. The hot dogs are delish and the chips, or fries are divine! The fries are cooked in lard, so they are anything but healthy but they are oh so good.


Tim Horton's has the best donuts and hot chocolate. You can actually feel yourself getting fatter as you eat the goodies!


These are some of the Canadian chocolates that are oh, so good. My favorite is actually not pictured. It's the Wonder bar. Mmmm, my mouth is watering for one right now.


We all know that there are plenty of "Famous Canadians". Here are a few that you may or may not be aware of.

Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams
Ryan Gosling is actually a member of the church, but as you can probably guess he isn't active. Jamie would meet girls at stake dances that knew Ryan.


Sandra Oh from my favorite TV show, Grey's Anatomy


Keanu Reeves


Jim Carrey


Michael J. Fox


Michael Bubley


I hope that I have given you some insight into Canada. Being that Jamie is Canadian and my boys are half Canadian I figured I would pay homage to the holiday!

HAPPY CANADA DAY, TO ALL OF YOU CANADIANS!








5 people showing their love:

Sarah said...

You are so cute ... way to support your hubby's homeland! Some of those slang words i didn't know ... kind of funny actually! And i love Michael Buble! :) Happy Canada Day!

Valerie: said...

Thats cool your hubby is Canadian. Will he ever become an American citizen? I never knew all those starts were from there either..interesting. Thanks for the facts!! Hope you all are well

Stephanie said...

Yay Canada! Evan actually taught Ryan's mom and sis while on his mission there! Crazy huh??

Kami P. said...

My mom is from Alberta so I've spent a lot of time there. I love it. I used to spend my entire summers there until I graduated from High School. I miss it. So cheers to Canada their day!!!

emilie s. d. p. said...

So do your kids have dual citizenship?