Sunday, August 31, 2008

Huh?

I am not sure what I think about this one. I am not crazy about McCain. I have been following this election out of pure curiosity. This election has me stunned, shocked and intrigued.
I was caught completely off guard with the announcement of Sarah Palin as McCains running mate.
I read that she has five kids. Her last one was born in April with Down Syndrome.
Jamie calls me a 'feminist' or that I have a lot of 'girl power' in me but I don't really think that I am/do. I am all for women having the same rights as a man but seriously if you have five kids, and your running for VP.....I don't know. I won't get into the whole political deal. But I am curious as to what you think.

What do you think? Good choice on McCain's part or not?

11 people showing their love:

Julie said...

I think she rocks!! I have no idea how she's been able to do all that she's done with 5 kids, but I think she seems pretty dang amazing.

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

That last comment was me again. For whatever reason it posted my comment twice so I deleted one of them. Sorry -- now I have three comments on here.

Holly said...

I really like her political views, but at the same time, I'm not sure she has enough experience, she's only been in politics for approx. 2 yrs.. if I understand right. I'm not sure how I feel about it all yet. I'm sure she is very capable though, I mean if you have 5 children it's likely she can handle whatever comes her way! :)

Emily said...

I think it is a risk McCain NEEDED to take. It's a gamble, so we'll see what happens!

emilie s. d. p. said...

I'm with you...I think Palin is smart and capable but I really don't support her major political career based on the fact that she still has so many little ones at home. I don't think that can help her as a VP. I agree with a lot of her views but overall I don't know that I love the idea of her as VP.

This entire election has me so torn...for once I'm realizing that I don't really have full support for any of the candidates. It's definitely a very interesting year!

The Hekking Family said...

I think that Palin will do good for America just because she has kids doesn't mean that she can't do a wonderful job her husband can be the care giver. Plus, alot of our countries past presidents have had young kids; the Clintons, Kennedys, Edwards had young kids, and Obama has young kids. I am not so worried about the fact that she has five young kids because she has done it just fine so far. First off she has only served two years but that is all that Obama has served. Second she is clearly pro life, which Obama is not;Obama thinks that women should be able to have late term abortions. Also, includes the born alive initiative which means that even after the baby is aborted and the baby survives the hospital and its employees can not help the baby live. They just have to wait for it to die that all is more horrifying to me then a young mother as VP. Third she is for drilling for oil which will help gas prices go down as it already has for the drilling Bush okayed off shore. The last thing I can't remember exactly what the situation was but she turned in fellow board members or something because the were doing something illegal even though they threatened her so that show that she has integrity. As a military wife I am supportive of the war so sorry Obama your out for me.

Laura said...

Hi Morgan! Great post. You are very brave to open your blog to political discussion. I have to say, I'm not so sure McCain would have chosen Palin had Obama gone with HIllary. She is a very strategic choice, not just to pull Hillary voters, but because she is staunchly right wing and McCain has been accused of being too liberal. I used to like McCain but he lost me when he agreed with Bush on vetoing health insurance for poor children.

But, I'm all for women in the white house.

One last thing, just a side note. Obama is against late term abortion unless the mother's health is at risk. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/04/obama-on-late-abortion-me_n_110884.html

Read the last paragraph for details on the "Born Alive" bill.

Thanks Morgan! Great post!

The Hekking Family said...

Thanks for the website I had only seen the bill that he signed. I really do like to have all the facts and that is just not the side that I had heard. I am glad that he is not for late term abortion unless there are health risks. Just goes to show you that you learn something new everyday.

Anonymous said...

sorry if this posts twice...

Hi counsin.
First, Hi! It's been nearly a decade since I've seen you!
Second, I wanted to ask you about something and was wondering if you could email me. The address is: ashaw@asc.upenn.edu
Looking forward to catching up.
best
-adrienne

HTF said...

That's the hot question isn't it. I was awfully skeptical when she was announced, even a little ticked. I really liked her speech last night and am starting to think she'll be pretty helpful on the ticket. I'm disappointed in some of the pot shots thrown at her, but that's part of the deal. Work/life balance is hard, really hard, whether you're a male or female and I wonder how many kids a male would have to have for people to ask the question about "shouldn't he be at home with the kids more instead of in politics?!" Just interesting stuff. Pretty curious election - makes for good reality TV!